What’s on your bucket list?
Why we need to save #JustOneRhino
Rhinos have roamed the earth for around 40 million years yet in the last few years populations have severely reduced as a result of illegal poaching. In South Africa alone in 2014 there were 1020 rhino deaths as a result of poaching compared to 333 in 2010. (source: WESSA, 2014. Current rhino poaching stats [online]. Date accessed: 05/01/15. Available from: WESSA).
Why are poachers hunting rhinos?
One rhino is killed every seven hours by illegal poachers. Many have their horns ripped off whilst still alive. Rhinos are being murdered for their horns because they fetch a high price (current market value is around $65k per kilo). Sadly there are a number of myths surrounding the benefits of the rhino horn to humans; for example, some believe rhino horn is an aphrodisiac; a rumour no doubt spread by illegal poachers to maximise profits from killing rhinos and selling horns. There are some medicinal benefits which support the use of the rhino horn in Chinese medicine, however the rhino horn does not need to be used.
What if we don’t do anything?
If we choose to do nothing about this crisis, in the next couple of decades, the rhino will be extinct. This is a cold hard fact. Here are a few reasons why we should not let that happen:
- Rhinos are mega-herbivores and they play a critical role within the ecosystem, a role they have played for millions of years. When you remove a significant species from the ecosystem, other species are also put at risk.
- Extinction would have a negative impact upon travel and tourism, which in turn would impact the local economy and community.
- Future generations will lose the opportunity to observe and admire these magnificent, ancient land mammals in the wild.
- Because we can. Preventing rhinos from becoming extinct is an achievable goal. Especially if we act together.
This is why I am joining over 120 top travel bloggers around the world to support the #JustOneRhino campaign.
Save #JustOneRhino and win!
About the campaign
Travelers Building Change and Green Travel Media have partnered to raise money for Rhinos Without Borders (RWB). The RWB project is being spearheaded by Great Plains Foundation founders Dereck and Beverly Joubert – National Geographic Explorers In Residence, acclaimed wildlife photographers, filmmakers and conservation advocates, famous for their work in saving Africa’s Big Cats.
Rhinos Without Borders is focused on saving Rhinos, translocating 100 from South Africa to Botswana to protect them from the tragic rise in poaching. We’re trying to help them raise at least $45,000 for #JustOneRhino.
Donate and win big!
By donating you not only contribute towards saving rhinos, which would be a huge win, but a number of generous eco-conscious sponsors have also donated some amazing travel prizes, collectively worth over $30k which you could win, simply by making a donation!
Platinum sponsor prizes
- International Expeditions: 10-day Galapagos Voyage for one. Value $5,298. Full Trip Details found here
- Adventure Life: South Africa Big Five Safari: Kruger & KwaZulu-Natal + Swag Bag for 2 people. Value $5000. Full Trip Details found here.
- Cobblers Cove Hotel, Barbados: Seven nights bed and breakfast in a Garden View suite. Value $5,187
- Yemaya Island Hideaway & Spa, Nicaragua: 10 nights’ stay & wellness package for two people at Yemaya Island Hideaway and Spa on Little Corn Island, Nicaragua. Value $5,241.
- Secret Retreats:
- Vouchers for 2 people at Bali Jiwa Villain in Bali, Indonesia. Value $1,000
- (2) Vouchers for 2 people at The Scent Hotel in Koh Samui, Thailand. Total Value $3000 ($1,500 for each 2-person package)
- Vouchers for 2 people at 4 Rivers Floating Lodge, Koh Kong, Cambodia. Value $900
- Vouchers for 2 people at Flower Island, Palawan, Philippines Value $900
Other prizes include:
- eBag Luggage
- WeWOOD Watches
- Dinner/Brunch Cruises
- 2 nights in an Italian Villa
- 2 Tours in India
- ExOfficio Gift Certificate
- 2 nights Renaissance Asheville
- Travel Blog Success Lifetime Membership
- African Elephant Photo Pack
- HDR Timelapse Video Camera w/Lens
- Blogger Mentorship Package from Green Global Travel
Resolve to make a difference this year. Help us save #JustOneRhino.